Wednesday, May 2, 2012

BossyPants by Tina Fey

I think I can safely say that, as a group, we not only loved the book, but we love (or at least strongly like and admire) the author.  This was not, however, universally true prior to our reading the book.  Some in the group were prior fans, some were prior non-fans, and some were neutral.

Tina Fey has written a very accessible book with a feminist-but-intelligent-and-thoughtful perspective.  She's funny, there's no question.  But she's not just funny.  There were points when we laughed at out loud, and there were points where we disagreed with her political statements, but overall, reading her book was like talking with a good friend.

The members of the group who had not watched or did not watch 30 Rock did not read (or closely read) the portion of the book that dealt with the show - but the book was complete without it and, those members included, fully enjoyable on its own.

As a group, we highly recommend the book.

And personally, I probably recommend it even higher than that.  It was truly an enjoyable experience.  I was one of those people who "couldn't stand" Ms. Fey ... and then I saw her in Baby Mama with Amy Poehler (who I have always loved) and begrudgingly admitted that she was funny and a decent actress... and then my husband's slight obsession w/ 30-Rock allowed me to watch the first 1/2 of the first season in succession... and I was completely won over.  She's self-deprecating in a completely endearing way.  And she's smart.  And funny.  I read the book in the couple hours it took to fly from Milwaukee to Phoenix and enjoyed all of it.  I hope there's a second!

No comments:

Post a Comment